Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Fabulous Finds of The Antique Kind

For the dining room. This is before the crystals have been cleaned and all the bits carefully re-attached.

To say the past weekend was delightful would be a major understatement. We had a glorious time thanks to our hosts and their charming children (and six-month-old puppy, Gibson).

For some time I have been asking -- begging (?) -- my great blog pal, Sharon Santoni, to take me to a brocante with her. I was hoping to find a chandelier to give to Drea and Will (daughter and son-in-law) for their new house as their big Christmas present.

Run, do not walk -- it's a metaphor -- to see what Sharon has in her brocante stop, click here .

Sharon, expert in these matters, cautioned me not to be disappointed if on my first time out I couldn't find my heart's desire.

My sweet cake dish.
You cannot see the tiny chip on the top side of the plate. Note the small "pedestal."

The weekend was fun from the minute we arrived until we packed our car and headed home. The Santonis had a little dinner party with divine food and it seems to me I had a magic wine glass. It was never empty and I never saw it being filled. I mention this only because normally I drink in moderation and sometimes not at all and that had been my intention, mainly because the plan was to set out at 5-ish Sunday morning. We finally tucked into bed at 2:30/3-ish, but, wine or no wine, I was at my post, flashlight in hand at the appointed hour for departure.

When we arrived, the venders were unpacking their wares as we and the professionals -- antique dealers -- started "helping" them unwrap what everyone always hopes will be a once-in-a-lifetime find.

Much smaller and to be hung flush against the ceiling. Again, in perfect condition and yet to be polished.
By the time the sun came up, and on our third or fourth complete tour of the brocante, I spied crystal gleaming in the light. I found a small fixture I thought would be perfect in their entrance or on a landing. I swooped and bought.

As we headed back to the car with my small purchase and a lovely cake dish Sharon said I should buy, I was consoling myself about not finding the object of my mission. But there it was! Perfect in every detail, not one piece missing, not a chip on a single crystal and, it was agreed all around, an exquisite 19th chandelier.

The man had two. I bought one. I should have bought two, but I'm still a novice at this game. I could do this again and again.

I have an addictive personality, it has been demonstrated time and time again when I'm faced with chocolate, champagne, fresh raspberries, cherries, and more. Now I'm thinking despite the fact I detest slipping out of bed at 5-ish, I could definitely get addicted to this new treasure hunt.

Merci Sharon.

24 comments:

LuxeBytes said...

Lovely and perfect.

xoxoxo --
M.

quintessence said...

What a wonderful find! Lucky Drea and Will!! I can easily see how such outings would be addictive, as well as the magic glass!!

Caryl said...

I am totally jealous--of both the experience and your
purchases. What a wonderful weekend for you--
and what a bright, shining Christmas your daughter and son-in-law will have.

Gracie's Mom said...

You really did find some gorgeous lighting fixtures, I am more than a little envious!

I sounds like you had a perfect week end, fall is such a nice time to be out strolling through the markets and just enjoying the crisp weather and sunny days.

Cindy

Anonymous said...

I thought you might enjoy this:http://www.divinecaroline.com/22323/34969-andy-rooney-forty

sharon said...

I'm the one to thank you Tish, I loved our little tour, and I'm also really happy with the treasures I found. You're totally right about the chandeliers we definitely should have got them both, let's just blame it on the distinct lack of sleep.

Let's do it again, very soon, I'm ready when you are!!

Sharon
xxx

Pearl said...

I love both the chandeliers--wow! great finds. I love the brocante myself and would have a different chandelier in every room in my house. Unfortunately, I have yet to find good shopping sites for this in DFW, despite many advertised locations. Congratulations.

kathy peck said...

The early hunt is very addictive - I used to do it every Sunday, getting up at 4am to be at the Pasadena Rose Bowl by 5am. i have many treasures from those times.
Your daughter and son-in-law will be thrilled, the chandelier is so beautiful, and how special the way it was found.

Fabulously french said...

The chandelier is a fabulous find and I too am addicted to tresaure hunting in France at 5h30 in the morning......it is a maladie that French boyfriend and I both share :-)

Leeann x

JMW said...

Great purchases - I'm sure they'll look lovely in your home. I want a similar chandelier in our house. I'll keep searching!

helen tilston said...

Hello Tish

That sounds like the perfect weekend. Diner with friends, some wine and an expedition to the brocante. Your chandelier is beautiful. I have a very similar one in my dining room which came with our apartment and I love it. Some of my crystals have an irise glow.
Wishing you a week full of joy

Helen xx

déjà pseu said...

I'm absolutely swooning over those chandeliers! Great finds all around, and glad you had such a good time.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

What a treasure trove France must be...
beautiful finds like yours are few and far between here in my town.

I think that Sharon could have paying customers and she could guide clients around the countryside shopping for lovely pieces...

you've done well and on such little sleep too!

Susan Tiner said...

Those chandeliers are gorgeous! Your daughter and son-in-law must be very pleased.

A magical wine glass sounds like fun.

Chicatanyage said...

I love Brocantes. They are so much fun. We have furnished most of our flat in France with treasures from the local Brocante, every Sunday. I guess I need to get up a bit earlier to get such finds as yours.

Lorrie said...

Gorgeous finds! And a fun weekend to boot.

BigLittleWolf said...

There's nothing like a delicious trouvaille. And it sounds like a much deserved and delightful weekend!

(Some of my favorite little touches around my own home are old Creil plates (black and white), and an elegant beige and white plate that was my grandmother's, French, with a lion and two angels, dated 1868.)

Julie said...

First time visit to your blog. LOVE the way you celebrate women of all ages!! Thank you!

Julie
www.ridingaside.blogspot.com
www.equusvilla.blogspot.com

Duchesse said...

What finds, with delightful company to boot. And on two hours' sleep? I could not do it, and you did- so that's how you get such treasures.

Kold_Kadavr_flatliner, sub/dude said...

Lookit ‘MySoulAccomplishment’ - you shall find the discernment to rise above, for God only gives bawls to those who see the need for humility. God bless you.

Carol said...

What fabulous finds. It must have been so much fun ' treasure hunting'. How lucky to come away with the perfect finds..

Kellie Collis said...

Those lamps are definitely gorgeous! What a lovely find! Have a delightful day, Kellie xx

Anonymous said...

Dear Tish

How lovely your brocante finds are! Would you be kind enough to share with us the name of the French town/village where this brocante was held?

Tish Jett said...

I have no idea where we were. It was pitch black dark, we drove and drove waaaaay out into the country. I'll see if I can find out and get back to you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...