Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Dressing Up & Staying In: Part III
























Myrna Loy, in a dressing gown and a "come hither" look. Surely she's staying home.


Our bedtime story continues. Chapter three is by Stacey, the talented writer and creator of the sumptuous blog, Quintessence.

Her writing, like her impeccable taste is stylish and polished. You'll see when you click over.

It's interesting when we think of sleep wear, seduction wear and lounge wear we tend to think of the glamour portrayed in the films from the 40s and 50s, maybe even the 60s. I have the impression we're all yearning for a sprinkle of that stardust.

Glamour is such a pleasurable, almost effortless adventure. But, if there were no effort, no preparation, no anticipation it wouldn't be quite as much fun. 

Below Stacey tells you about her ideas on the subject, with an intriguing aside in the conversation: empowerment through lingerie. Read on. . .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------















Lacy, luxe pieces from Net-A-Porter.


I was very flattered that Tish, who lives in the epicenter of all things relating to romance and seduction, asked me to weigh in on the question of the difference between sleep wear, seduction wear and lounge wear. And it was particularly propitious considering that I recently participated in a girls' day-out in downtown NYC on a lingerie shopping trip. We visited several stores from the edgy l'Agent Provocateur to my favorite village destination La Petite Coquette, which carries a wide range of every possible type of lingerie.
 
 The question of bedroom attire is certainly an interesting one and one which we discussed that day. The consensus was that while our men certainly appreciate our efforts in terms of choosing enticing undergarments, most of these pieces are bought for our own enjoyment. 

Just as looking stylish and elegant on the outside is important to most of us, lovely lingerie can give the same sense of confidence and even more important, empowerment. The secret knowledge that what we have on underneath is flattering and stylish is a huge boost to one's ego on the street as well as in the bedroom. And as we all know, confidence is a very sexy quality. 






















Crisp, sophisticated pajamas from Leron, the renowned maker of beautiful linens.























Cozy chic. Silk robe from Leron.


However, I must add that once the lingerie has been unveiled, my preference in sleep attire falls into an entirely different category - one much more about comfort. I am always cold and my sleep wear of choice (unless it's the middle of summer) involves sleeves and legs. I love classic men's pajamas, cut for a woman. I own many different pairs, all tailored, several made of the same great cotton used by English shirt makers. 























Out of the bath into this pristinely pretty waffle robe from Matouk is pure luxury.

Think Katherine Hepburn or Myrna Loy in the Thin Man - they might have slept in such pajamas. And just as climbing into crisp clean cotton sheets at night is a delight, so is putting on a pair of freshly ironed cotton pajamas. As for loungewear, if such a thing exists, I don't own any - if I am not wearing what I've worn during the day, I  am in my pajamas with one of several robes on top, from a beautiful cashmere to a stylish checked flannel or crisp matching cotton. Because you can be stylish and comfortable at the same time and sexy when it counts - for him but more importantly for yourself!

20 comments:

vicki archer said...

I love to sleep in man style pyjamas too but I also love a silk and lace trimmed gown....I guess the answer is many outfits for many moods....xv

The enchanted home said...

So glad the post went from seductive fancy lingerie to mens pjs, becuase I have to admit while i admire beautiful lingerie and do own some..I am never totally comfortable in it and therefore rarely wear it, i am much more give me the softest, coziest best cotton pjs and robe you can afford..now THATS comfort and if its a nice set...pretty in a tailored way. I think its finding the balance between being comfortable and looking chic at the same time.

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

I love the Hepburn/Loy suggestion for sleepwear! Sexy, lacey pajamas are a great way to tell my husband that I am not ready to sleep!! The other pjs are if I am exhausted and want to sleep right away!!

Julie said...

I admire silk gowns for sleeping but I can't sleep in them. Every time I toss in bed they get caught under my body and it gets really annoying. I prefer something above my knees and not too loose. Men pj's... hmmm... sounds like a very good idea.

The Zhush said...

Well, I've got the comfort part down, but the stylish half is (or should be a goal for me), as I sit here in my husband's old t-shirt and a pair of J-Crew lounge pants...which is just a fancy word for sweat pants really! That Matouck waffle robe is RIGHT up my ally though! Great post!

California Girl said...

Started the HBO remake of "Mildred Pierce" Sunday night. At one point in the show, Mildred interviews for a lady's maid position at the home of a wealthy woman. The woman conducts the interview wearing a silk negligee & peignoir which was startling. While beautiful it, to my modern day sensibilities, looked so inappropriate. It screamed "idle rich" so it made the director's POV.

pretty pink tulips said...

I'm always drawn to the beautiful and lacy, but when it comes down to what works for every day, I go much simpler.

And, I'm with you. My favorite sleepwear is a set of English pajamas that just get softer with the years.

eclecticrevisited said...

pretty is always in...love camisoles and shorts for summer...winter requires a little more as it's so cold up here in the north country...
maureen

Deja Pseu said...

Oh, those robes look scrumptious!

Diana Mieczan said...

Those pajamas from Leron sound fantastic. What a beautiful post! Wish you both a great day, kisses

Melanie said...

I love those robes. I have penchant for Frette robes myself...

Lilacs In May said...

Can't stay...I'm going shopping....

Mary Jo from TrustYourStyle said...

Love this post Stacey as well as Tish's fabulous blog! I can't believe we have the same favorite lingerie shop: Le Petite Coquette was always my favorite when I lived in NYC! I am with you on the robes and pjs however, there's nothing better for a good night's sleep and I always splurge since we do spend at least 1/3 of our life in these.

xo Mary Jo

Splenderosa said...

Hi Tish, I've been MIA on commenting lately (work) and just love visiting you again. Stacey is wonderful. I have a pink & a blue silk pj's just like the Leron pair which I absolutely love, otherwise it cotton ones all the way. My daughter is a spa developer for large destination resorts & always gives me the most fabulous spa robes. What's happened to Cherie? I loved her. xx's Marsha

BODECI body said...

Sleep is so very important to me, but it does not mean holey sweats. I have purchased crisp flannel PJ's from L.L. Bean and they have lasted for several years looking brand new. I wear a lace camisole under them and only button the middle button. My husband sees a bit of sexy under the comfort and I am warm and toasty!

Francine Gardner said...

This is always what I comment on when watching a great classic movie, how do these women look so glamorous in their fabulous nightgowns, neglige, and evening"at home"attire? I have fantasies of looking so perfectly put together, but I will usually be found curled up in my sofa, wearing warm my pj"s , half hidden under a warm blanket

Christina @ Fashion's Most Wanted said...

I love men's pyjamas and that silk robe is gorgeous xx

Dash said...

Great post Tish and Stacey, I love gorgeous silky lingerie and night wear it tends to be reserved for weekends away or holidays, in our big old farmhouse I tend to wear mens PJ's.
XXX

LuxeBytes said...

I think I'll be in New York in October, and must put La Petite Coquette on my list. Love all those beautiful, sweet nothings pictured in this post.

xoxoxo

la fourchette said...

Great minds...and all that. I'm just now catching up chez toi and as I was scrolling down, reading about 'to seduce or not to seduce...?' I saw the collection of teddies and what nots. I *just* (as in day before yesterday) bought a black number with ivory lace for my soon-to-arrive-but-hasn't-yet-quite-materialized man to seduce...one of these days. In the meantime, I'll just consider myself ready for any style: this gorgeous, silky teddy or the flannel pants and 'peace' t-shirt. I'd say I have all my bases covered and ready for whatever base the lucky 'he' wants to get to! ;}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...